Sunday, January 09, 2011

The List Maker vs. Scarlett O'Hara


You might wonder (or maybe not, maybe you forgot all about this) why I haven't blogged with great fervor about our move to Italy this summer.

You're not the only one. Friends keep asking me if I'm excited about this primo Permanent Change of Station (PCS). My work wants to know when I'll be leaving. I have junk drawers that need organizing, wall holes that need patching.

I respond to all these queries with a lackadaisical "Um yeh, I'm not thinking about it yet."

This is very unlike me. I am The Listmaker, The Planner, The Think Aheader... every circumstance, misstep is anticipated and thought through before we even step out of the old house and make our way to the new...

The truth is, I can not and will not get myself all vested in another fabulous three years in Europe until about March or April. You see, I've learned the hard way.

Too many times, we have had the rug pulled out from under us when it comes to a planned PCS.

Like the time we were planning for a promised extension on our tour at Fort Bragg: one day we were shopping for houses around Fayetteville and the next day we were on orders going to Fort Stewart, Georgia... in three weeks no less.

Or the time My-Army-Guy sat at a school in Maryland and waited and waited for orders (while all the others soldiers went to their duty stations weeks earlier). Me and the kids were poised to move back in the Pacific Northwest and then, BAM, orders to Fort Polk (the worst post on earth if you ask me) and a deployment for My-Army-Guy to Kuwait two weeks later.

Or the very worst... orders to Fort Meade, Maryland (and a welcome break from Iraq deployments) were yanked becauseMy-Army-Guy's replacement couldn't get it together for an impending deployment so guess who had to stay and deploy? I was crushed and depressed for the next 15 months while My-Army-Guy was on his second tour to Iraq.

So, you see, I've finally caught on. I got smart. Things have actually gone wrong more times than right.

Don't mind me, I'm pulling a Scarlett O'Hara and thinking about that stuff tomorrow. If you see a flurry of entries about moving in the spring you know we are at least on the right track.

2 comments:

GiveKidsAShot.org said...

Enjoying your blog!! Love your insights into the area. We just received orders to SHAPE, and should arrive by July 1. Crazy question...but I heard the best thing is to ask... so...will your house become vacant around this time? Thanks! Jennifer- Marine Wife thefreys at comcast dot net.

edith said...

Thank you! Send me an email and I'll give you the run down on our place. I'm not sure you'll want it after I've told you about it! edithmills@hotmail.com